4 May

I finished the half marathon today. My time was 2:30:46. I was hoping for 11 min miles. It turned out to be about 11:30 min miles. But as Travis lovingly pointed out, 11:30s were what I trained at so that was what was realistic for me. But I finished nonetheless.

We got up at 4:30 to make it to the buses by about 5:15. They bussed us up to the starting point and then let us stand outside and freeze for an hour. It was probably in the 30s when we got up there so everyone–all 1,000 of us–were all huddled over on the same end of the field. It was a long hour. My feet were the coldest.

I had debated about whether to wear pants or not but I did. And then we forgot to bring a plastic bag to put our sweatshirts in so I had thought about just leaving my sweatshirt in the car and not having to deal with it. I’m so glad I didn’t! I would’ve been completely miserable without those two things.

The race started off fine. I was a little tired but around mile 4, I got into my stride and we were running about 11:05 min miles. Around mile 8 though, I hit a wall. My feet were hurting (and that’s no wonder considering the giant blisters I have on my toes!! My running shoes have officially been retired from long distances) and my boob was hurting and my hip flexors and my knee. I wondered to Travis why my training runs seem to go better than the real thing.

About a year and a half ago, I ran a 10 mile race in Minnesota. I trained for it for about 3 months and even ran 10 miles before the actual race. No problems. But the day of the race, the first 7 miles were great. I was running faster than in training (9:30 min miles) and feeling good. But then I developed this huge blister on the bottom of my foot and it felt like I was running with a small pebble lodged between my toes. I even stopped to get the “rock” out of my shoe, only to discover that it wasn’t a rock. It severely slowed my pace so that I finished averaging 10:00 min miles.

Anyway, so after mile 9, I stopped to walk a little at every water station. It was so hard to will myself to keep running. But I did and I ran the majority of the race. And it’s exciting to me to finish so close to what I trained at, even with all the walking I did.

And I pumped it for the last .2 miles, especially the part where all the people were standing and cheering.

I”m glad the race is over so I can start doing stuff besides running. I want to start doing yoga and I want to do more weight training and less cardio. Yay for my first half marathon!

One Response to “I DID IT!”

  1. jonathan May 5, 2008 at 12:14 am #

    congrats to you.. keep on running for a healthy lifestyle… 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: