The Move is On.

8 Oct

So, we are moving to Minnesota.

We’ve been planning to move back pretty much ever since we moved to Colorado. Don’t get me wrong – Colorado is an awesome state and we have loved living here. We have a great church, great friends, good jobs, nice house, and have done a lot of fun things here.

But… our family isn’t here.

And… there’s just something about Minnesota that makes us love it.

Sure, the summers are humid and full of bugs. The winters get down to temperatures I won’t even mention and snow sticks around until April. Many Most days are cloudy. But the truth is, as much as I like to complain about those features of Minnesota, they also endear me to the state. Minnesota is not for the faint of heart.

So why now? Well first, we were waiting to have kids. Check.

Then, we were waiting to talk to Travis’ boss about moving, since we were hoping that Travis would be able to keep his same job and just work from home in Minnesota. We got the green light a couple of weeks ago!

I’ll have to quit my job but I’ll probably try to find something – whether a part-time ‘for fun’ job or volunteering opportunity – to get me out of the house and keep me sane. Since we’re really close to being debt-free (we’ll only have about $2K left in student loans by November), we don’t really *need* my paycheck. And finding a part-time job that pays me like my current job would be tough.

Anyway, so moving is no longer an IF but a WHEN. All that’s left is to sell our house. We met with a realtor last Friday and are planning to put our house on the market in January. We have some a lot of work to do to get our house ready to sell, but October is the Month of Hunting so nothing will get done then. We could probably finish everything by the end of November but not many people are looking at houses in December, so January it is.

To avoid having to coordinate selling and buying a house across 1,000 miles, we’re going to move into my parent’s lake cabin about an hour north of the Cities for a few months while we find a house. We’re looking at houses in the Brainerd area.

We’re definitely excited to move back, and get a new, bigger house where we plan to live for the next 20ish years, but it’s definitely bittersweet leaving Colorado. We’ll miss it!

6 Responses to “The Move is On.”

1. Stephanie October 8, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Best of luck! I’m sure you’ll have no trouble selling your house even in January. Folks that we have talked to who are in realty or are looking for houses tell us that there’s such a short supply that houses sometimes get put on the market and sell in the same day. Plus we are definitely entering a seller’s market so it should be to your advantage!

2. Heidi Nicole October 8, 2013 at 10:59 am #

Yay – congrats on the decision to make the big move back! It will definitely be nice to have family nearby!

3. Angie @ Pint of Goals October 8, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

What amazing news! How great for your family 🙂 I’m with you on the crappy winters and humid summers…but there’s just something special about the Midwest!

4. monthsbeforeyou October 9, 2013 at 6:24 am #

Congrats on your decision! I know that it probably wasn’t easy making the choice, but it feels good to have it made I’m sure. We are looking at moving in the next 3-4 years, but plan to stay in this area we just need to get into a better school district zone! I am not looking forward to trying to have our house in “showing state” with 2 dogs and a toddler! Good luck!!!

5. specialkkluthe October 9, 2013 at 8:47 am #

@monthsbeforeyou – We have 2 dogs too and it’s stressing me out already thinking about trying to keep the house clean for showings with them around. Their hair gets EVERYWHERE. We might see if my friends can watch them when we have showings scheduled.

6. Lisa October 10, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

Eeck!! Exciting!! I had no idea you were thinking of coming back to Minn so soon. I thought it was more like your 5 or 10 year plan. And Brainerd is a beautiful area. Good luck with the house stuff, packing, & moving. That can be so much work, but def. worth it!