Annabelle’s Birth Story, Part Two

2 Apr

If you missed it, here’s Part One.

The pediatrician came and checked on Annabelle at 8 am Saturday morning, at which point Travis and I decided to ‘get up’ for the day (which meant opening the blinds and ordering breakfast). His parents and Emma came and visited us for a couple hours around 10:30. Emma fell asleep on their lunch run and took a short 20 minute nap. She was more interested in the room, our stuff, and the balloon they had bought than in Annabelle, but it was still fun to have her there. I had missed her! She got sibling pictures taken with Annabelle.

IMG_6273 IMG_6274

IMG_3472 IMG_3473 IMG_3478

My parents came for a visit at 2:30 and left around 6:30.

IMG_6282 IMG_6280

We ate dinner and got Annabelle’s pictures taken.

IMG_3599 IMG_3621 IMG_3623 IMG_3669

Then our friends Brenda and Jake brought us ice cream. They left around 8-ish, at which point Travis and I watched a couple of breastfeeding videos (required… and awkward) and the end of the Wild game. After the nurse shift change at 11:30, we settled in for a night of Annabelle cluster feeding and only wanting be held. So that night was not very restful but that’s life with a newborn.


The next day was Sunday and we were finally going to go home! My doctor checked on me around 8:30. The pediatrician came in around 9:30. Our parents and Emma arrived around 10:30 with coffee. I took a shower and packed up all our stuff. Travis and my dad made a run out to the car – we had so much stuff to take home! Finally, around noon, we were all discharged and ready to go.

I’d say that this experience of labor, delivery and our hospital stay far exceeded our experience in Denver. I think that having been through it once, I felt more empowered to ask for what I wanted (and knew what to ask for!), which made a huge difference. I also feel like the hospital made the experience very special with all the little ‘extras’ (like a free video monitor, photo session, fruit basket, birthday cake, etc). They also did a better job of leaving us alone during nighttime hours to sleep, but being available if we needed them. Or maybe the experience was better just because we weren’t first-time parents! Who knows. It was a great experience overall. And I’m still more than a little amazed that I gave birth with no pain meds. The doctor asked me what I thought about the experience of not getting an epidural, and I said, “I’m glad I had the experience and can say I did it, but I never want to do that again.”

And that’s Annabelle’s birth story!

One Response to “Annabelle’s Birth Story, Part Two”


  1. Annabelle’s Birth Story, Part One | Life, Really Blog - April 2, 2015

    […] Read Part Two. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: